When you’ve moved overseas, away from all things familiar, it helps to have some guidance in how and where to celebrate the holiday season in Singapore. After some snooping around, I’ve managed to come up with some rather fantastic ideas to help you and your family feel a little closer to home during the holiday season while here in Singapore.
You Need a Tree!
These locations will help you find the real deal…live trees here in Singapore! Of course you can also find the fake kind, if you prefer, at iwannagohome!, Tangs and Cold Storage, to name a few.
- Thomson Nurseries
- Far East Flora
- World Farm
These stores are known for bringing everything Christmas to you…ornaments, trimmery and more.
- Crate & Barrel
- Marks & Spencer
- Verge @ Little India
- Plaza Singapura
- Chinatown (great place to find your personalized Singapore ornaments)
Add a Dash of Family Fun Activities!
- Universal Studios– ‘Snowy Christmas at Santa’s Land’ in Universal Studios Singapore. Here’s what Universal promises:
Singapore’s biggest snowfall – three themed zones, namely Hollywood, New York and Sci-Fi City will experience magical snow every hour every day. The theme park will be decked out in tinsel and holly; transforming Universal Studios Singapore into Santa’s Land with extended hours until 9pm. Taking centrestage will be a Christmas tree made entirely of plush toys at the New York Public Library. Catch a few shows like Santa’s Toy Soldiers, Dancing Christmas Light Show at the library steps with a new video-mapping show – Winter Tales – on its façade this year, Sesame Street Saves Christmas and the Christmas Fireworks Spectacular. Looking for a feast? For the first time, Studio 28 will be transformed into a festive dining hall!
- The Port of Lost Wonder will be holding its annual Christmas Joy event, including bringing Santaville to the Port. Christmas Joy will happen on Dec. 21, 25 and 26, from 10am to 9.30pm, and this will be a special ticketed event. Look for gingerbread making, snowman building and the chance to play in the snow.
- Skating your thing? Take a few laps around the Velocity Novena ice rink or the JCube rink. Both are sure to get you in the mood for the holiday season.
- How about bundling up and playing in the snow? Snow City invites you to wrap up for some serious fun in the Snow Chamber.
- Gardens By the Bay are hosting an amazing display of Italian light sculptures and Christmas Markets this year. Lights will be on display from Nov. 29 Jan. 1, 7pm to midnight, and Christmas Markets will be open from Nov. 29 to Dec. 21, 3-11pm.
- Christmas By the River will host beautifully decorated river boats, carolers every Thursday to Saturday, from November 15 to December 15 from 7.30pm – 9.30pm., fireworks on Friday nights and LED Christmas trees along the banks. The Singapore River’s three quays will be adorned with gorgeous Christmas decorations. 8-metre tall LED Christmas tree structures will decorate the Singapore River’s banks from Alkaff Bridge at Robertson Quay, stretching to Cavanagh Bridge at Boat Quay. At night, these trees will be illuminated.
- Christmas Markets at Christmas By the River – On December 13-14 and 19-20, the Christmas Festive Market will be held along the River Promenade, in front of Clarke Quay Central. On December 20-21, there will also be a Pop-Up Christmas Market at Clarke Quay’s Central Fountain Square. The markets will consist of stalls selling Christmas-themed treats as well as gifts and souvenirs, from participating outlets based in the Singapore River.
- FunVee Christmas Light Up Tour see the lights of Singapore while riding on an open top bus! Lots of goodies included in the ticket prices, so make sure to grab your tickets soon!
If you want to see the Christmas lights on your own, this list is sure to give you a good start to finding amazing twinkle light displays around town:
- ION at Orchard
- Raffles Hotel
- Wheelock Place
- Orchard Road- The Light-Up Period is from November 15 – January 1
and will take place at the following times of the day: 6.30 pm to 6 am on Christmas Eve and both New Year’s Eves; 6.30 pm to 2 am on Fridays and Saturdays, except as stated above, 6.30 pm to midnight on Mondays to Thursdays and on Sundays.
- Tanglin Mall
- Gardens By the Bay
- Universal Studios
- Christmas By the River- 14 November to 2 January
I’ve even managed to find some holiday shows taking place around town!
A Visit With Santa
Voted THE BEST by Singapore moms, Tanglin Mall will be running its ‘Photos with Santa’ event from November 21 to December 24. Packages start from $19.95. All package prices can be found here: www.santasworkshop.com.sg
I hope you find the holiday spirit you’ve been looking for and can find the time to indulge in some of these amazing displays of Christmas cheer. Being overseas isn’t always easy when you’re far from home, but Singapore does a really good job at easing some of your woes. Happy Holidays!