It has been a bit challenging to find restaurants in Guatemala City that cater to families. Mainly because we aren’t big meat eaters and most of the “better” restaurants in the city tend to be steak houses. The only other options that offer a kid friendly environment are fast food places.
That’s why when I first found La Fattoria and learned what it was all about, I was thrilled. It is a well known place for pizza and pastas. But what makes it special is that kids under twelve years old eat free.
This is extremely rare in Guatemala and every other Central American country. This, to me, was reason enough to take my family there.
I thought I knew everything about where I was going but once there I got a few surprises.
I think that La Fattoria is the only true Italian restaurant I have visited in Guatemala. The owners are literally off the boat Italians who brought with them the best of their family recipes and traditions. They seem to be the foundation of the restaurant as well.
Wood oven pizza is served here, one of my favorite. They even have their own pasta factory (one of the many surprises I was talking about). They distribute it around the country to gourmet stores.
But to me the aspect that makes all the difference, and I had to go out of my way to find this out, is the flavor. It is completely different than anything I had tried in the country for the last twelve years. Turns out that most of the ingredients are brought from Italy. I know for sure that they get the flour, the parmesan cheese and tomatoes from there. The mozzarella cheese is prepared at the restaurant so it is fresh to taste and also used on the pizza.
Another thing that caught my attention was the prices. I am sure the prices of importation aren’t cheap, yet everything is affordable (and who can beat the kids eating for free deal?).
1. Kids Eat Free Pizza – You would think they would be teeny tiny pizzas. I did. But to my surprise they were huge! I was grateful that my boys were really hungry and were able to finish them. It is not a common occurrence for my family.
2. Salads – My oldest son doesn’t like home made salads, so eating out is sometimes a healthy option for us since he always orders Caesar salads. On the other hand, I recently became addicted to Insalata Caprese. It was
3. Pizzas – When we ordered we did not know about the sizes of the pizza so we ordered two. It turned out that they can easily feed two people. They were the best we have tasted in Guatemala.
4. Pasta – After the salads and the pizza I was full. The only reason why I ordered pasta is because I was told that they are all freshly made. I had not eaten homemade, fresh tortellini in over a decade.
5. Italian Dessert – One thing about Guatemalans they do not have good desserts. I have no idea why, but I have yet to taste good cakes and sweets here. But with Italian owners and chef I knew I could not go wrong.
Information about La Fattoria Pizzeria Restaurant
The restaurant is located in Zone 10. It is spacious with plenty of room for the kids to run around. This area of Guatemala City is super problematic when it comes to parking, but they have their own parking lot.
I loved the food. The pizza is the best in the country and the pasta is the freshest I have had in a long time.