Recently my family visited Nicaragua in Central America. In search of fun activities do with my boys (7 years old and 1 year old) I found these great adventures that would also be learning experiences. We ended up doing many great things but only 5 made it to my 7 year old boy’s list of fun things to do in Nicaragua.
1. Horseback tour in Ometepe – This was a great, relaxing tour on the largest fresh water island in the world with 2 volcanoes. Every kid I know loves horses & any other kind of animals so imagine how much fun a ride along a forest where you get the chance to see tons of birds and even monkeys would be for the little ones.
2. Islets Tour, Granada – These are tiny islands Lake Nicaragua off from Granada. You can take a boat tour around and have a few stops. One in particular that my son loved was a small fort. Traveling by boat in the middle of tiny islands with the wind on our faces & a beautiful volcano on the background was a fun family adventure.
3. Exploring Granada in a horse carriage – Granada is a beautiful colonial town that I really wanted to visit. But when you travel with kids there is only so much walking you can do so a ride in a carriage gave us all the chance to see the city & rest from all the walking we had already done.
4. Visit the Masaya Volcano – This is an active volcano that offers the opportunity for travelers to go up to the crater and take a look inside of it. I know it might sound a bit crazy but it is a safe day trip for the family & the excitement on my boy’s face when he saw the crater was priceless!
5. Exploring behind the scenes of Central America’s largest cathedral – It was a lot of fun to be able to go to the roof of the cathedral to see where the bells are. It’s one of the only cathedrals in Central America that they still manually do the bell ringing every 30 minutes.
Have you ever been to Nicaragua with your family? Which where your kid’s favorite activities?