Central American countries are filled with natural beauties as well as some beautiful towns and cities. After traveling through them I came up with a list of my favorite destinations of the area, here it is:
1. Arenal In this area of Costa Rica you will find the ever active Arenal Volcano, the huge Arenal Lake and the beautiful town of La Fortuna. The area offers tons of activities for all tastes like: canopy tours, hiking, naturally heated thermal springs, canyoneering, caving and plenty of wildlife spotting. Plus there is a wide range of hotels and restaurants.
2. Monteverde The Monteverde area is the only place in Costa Rica where all the parks are privately endorsed and protected. Here you will be able to experience and explore the cloud forest and enjoy the excitement of canopy tours. This area is also a great place to get some spectacular views of the Gulf of Nicoya.
3. Manuel Antonio This Costa Rican area is perfect for wildlife and beach lovers. In it you will find tons of tour options, sun, crystal clear waters, restaurants to satiate all palates, luxury hotels and spas, and relaxation. Manuel Antonio is heaven for sport fishers.
4. Antigua It is a colonial city sitting beautifully between three volcanoes: Acatenango, Fuego and Agua in Guatemala. It still preserves the same majesty it did when it was the epicenter of Central America‘s power during the 17th and 18th century. In Antigua restaurants and hotels for every budget abound.
5. Lake Atitlan Lake Atitllan was formed thousands of years ago in the crater of a massive volcano. It has incredible views of quaint Guatemalan Mayan villages, huge volcanoes and hillsides. The hot spot of the area is Panajachel with its funky cafes, delicious restaurants and fun markets.
6. Playa Tunco It is a beautiful black sanded beach located in La Libertad Department of El Salvador. It is famous among locals for its great surf breaks. The area is also well known for its night life, restaurants, hotels and even camping sites.
7. Suchitoto Suchitoto is a historic lakeside town of El Salvador with a colonial style. This is a place rich in cultural tradition and offers panoramic views of Lake Suchitlán. In this tranquil town you will find museums, art galleries, lake tours, hotels and nightlife.
8. Roatan Roatán is the largest of Honduras’ Bay Islands and is located near the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef. This 60km island offers some great hotels, restaurants and amazing views. Because of that this beautiful island became famous among travelers for its cruising, fishing and scuba diving tours.
9. Caye Caulker It is a small limestone coral island off the coast of Belize. It is really small, measuring only 5 miles from north to south. There is a small town located on this island that has become a popular destination for backpackers and other tourists. In such a small place you will find more than 30 tiny hotels, lots of restaurants and some bars.
10. Pacaya Volcano Pacaya is an active volcano in Guatemala that was declared National Park and now offers some options for adventurers that want to go up and see lava flows up close. This touristic attraction lies 30 kilometers southwest of Guatemala City and close to Antigua.