So, you really want to get you and the kids away from it all and go back to basics? No IRS.. PMS.. CD.. DVD.. PS3.. MP3..? My recommendation would be ‘The Dordogne”, an area of France that conjures up images of a return to rural life at a slower pace.
Northeast Dordogne is often referred to as ‘le Perigord Vert’ because of its green rolling hills, forests and prairies. Virtually the whole area is attractive hill country, full of old villages, castles, small country towns and plenty of scope for relaxing, tech-free vacations. Much of the area, particularly further into the hills, is very much “off the beaten track”, just waiting to be discovered.
Staying in Dordogne, France
- Les Chardonnerets: In a peaceful setting in the Perigord Vert on the edge of the Perigord Limousin Natural Park Les Chardonnerets offers 5 high quality gites with pool for families.
- Les Rossignols d’Ancheyra: A four-bedroom barn conversion set in 28 acres of private land in the Perigord Vert.
- Le Pavillion de St. Agnan: Chateau and 5 holiday homes near Hautefort.
- Gites In Limousin: Accommodation comprising 3 gites within the Perigord Regional Natural Park.
- Domaine Le Bost: Offering 6 holiday cottages plus B&B on the outskirts of Thiviers in the Perigord Vert.
- La Roche Chabrelle: Situated in the Perigord Vert on the edge of the Perigord Regional Natural Park. Offering accommodation in 4 gites on 5 acres of land.
- Domaine Les Pins: Offering 2 gites with views over the valley in the Perigord Vert.
- Hotel de France et de Russie: A charming hotel full of original character, offering a warm friendly welcome. Situated in Thiviers in the Perigord Vert.
- Gite Lou Coca Lou: Independent gite for 2 to 6 people with countryside views in Nantheuil in the Perigord Vert.
Getting Around Dordogne
My friends over at Dordogne Cycle Hire are a family run business based near Thiviers right in the heart of the stunning Perigord Vert region. They specialize in bicycle hire for the whole family and have everything your family will need for a day full of cycling!
They deliver top quality, well-maintained bicycles direct to your gite, B&B or Hotel. They also provide cycle buggies for tots and tag-a-long bikes for older children.
All bikes are regularly maintained and safety checked prior to hire, leaving you to concentrate on exploring the tranquil highways and by-ways of the Northern Dordogne and Limousin.
This region is bursting with quiet country lanes, small ancient towns and villages, forests, lakes and rivers. They’ll provide maps of the area showing places of interest, refreshment stops, swimming lakes or just places to rest for a minute and admire the stunning views. You can even take advantage of a special 5 day Family Package and leave the car behind, pack a picnic (panniers can be provided!) and head off on a family adventure to remember.
An emergency number is available should you have any problems en route, but all bikes have gel-filled tires to help prevent punctures, so you’re certain to have a stress-free ride.
Tel + 33 (0) 637 149 380 Skype: + 44 (0) 1223 969 845