Here are all my breakfast favorites are piled on top of crusty sourdough toast: eggs, bacon, and tomatoes crowned with dressed arugula. Sophisticated enough for dinner and easy enough to make on the fly, you will want to make these open sandwiches often. It’s an easy breakfast the day after a long trip, or a simple dinner to prepare after you arrive home!
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 Roma tomatoes, cored and cut into 1⁄4 -inch slices
- 4 slices sourdough bread, each about 1⁄2 -inch thick
- 2 ounces baby arugula (about 4 handfuls)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- In a small dish, whisk together the mayonnaise and mustard and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, cook the bacon over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until crispy. Drain on paper towels and cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Drain the excess bacon fat from the pan and then put the tomato slices in it. Season lightly with salt and pepper and cook for about 1 minute on each side or just until softened.
- Toast the sourdough bread slices and spread each with about 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise mixture. Top each with the bacon and tomato slices.
- Meanwhile, toss the arugula with the olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spray a nonstick frying pan with flavorless vegetable spray and heat the pan over medium heat. When hot, crack the eggs into the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the whites are opaque and the yolks are warm but still runny.
- Put a fried egg on top of each bruschetta. Top each egg with a small handful of arugula and serve immediately.
Join our NEW Facebook Community: Making Travel Easier. We promise to always tell you what we would tell our best friend -- what works for kids, what doesn’t and what you need to know before you go to have the Best. Family. Vacation. Ever. Our group of travel experts are ready to answer your travel questions!