Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
- Exploring Avengers Campus Disneyland Resort
- Changes to Expect at the Disneyland Resort
- Dress Up to Make the Most of an Avengers Campus Visit
- Where is Avengers Campus in Disneyland?
- WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure
- Can I Ride WEB SLINGERS if I Don't Get Into the Virtual Queue?
- Guardians of the Galaxy - MISSION: Breakout!
- Pym Test Kitchen Quick Service Dining
- Mobile Ordering is a MUST
- Marvel at Disneyland Character Sightings
- What Else Can Kids Do in Avengers Campus Disneyland?
- Avengers Campus Disneyland Merchandise
- What's to Come at Avengers Campus Disneyland
Avengers Campus Disneyland is open! These insider tips on how to get the most out of a trip to this new land, found only at the Disneyland resort. Learn the importance of mobile ordering and how to secure your place in the virtual queue for a Marvel-ous and successful day.
The writer was hosted at a media preview of the Avengers Campus Disneyland.
Exploring Avengers Campus Disneyland Resort
The new Avengers Campus opened on June 4, 2021, in the former “a bug’s land” space. This new land with a Marvel twist has a fun back story: Iron Man (Tony Stark) developed Avengers Campus as a place for regular folks to train alongside super heroes.
Join our NEW Facebook Community: Making Travel Easier. We promise to always tell you what we would tell our best friend -- what works for kids, what doesn’t and what you need to know before you go to have the Best. Family. Vacation. Ever. Our group of travel experts are ready to answer your travel questions!
As a result, Avengers Campus is an ultra immersive experience. This is reflected in everything from the rides to the character experiences.
Expect a visit to Avengers Campus to include heroic encounters with Captain America and Black Widow. Spot the Quinjet on the rooftop of Avengers headquarters, where epic live battles take place. By the end, chances are you’ll feel like a super hero yourself!
Changes to Expect at the Disneyland Resort
After being closed for more than a year during the pandemic, the Disneyland theme parks in Anaheim have reopened. Just as at Walt Disney World in Orlando, reopening these popular amusement parks has come with big changes, including the new Magic Key pass program.
All Disneyland tickets must be purchased ahead of your trip through online sales only. TravelingMom recommends Get Away Today for discounted multi-day tickets. And a theme park reservation must also be made in advance of your visit, via the Disneyland website.
Please read through the additional Disneyland reopening changes before your vacation.
Dress Up to Make the Most of an Avengers Campus Visit
Disclosure: The following section is sponsored by shopDisney.
Avengers Campus at Disney California Adventure park is a place for kids to transform into super heroes. My kids love dressing up like characters from one of their favorite movies, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. They carefully selected their Ghost-Spider costume and Miles Morales Spider-Man costume for our day inside Avengers Campus. Being in costume while riding WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure made the day even more special. And the photos are so dang cute!
In addition to costumes, shopDisney has a whole array of authentic Marvel gear, including water bottles, Spider-Man Loungefly Mini Backpack and this external phone charger. To get the best deals, watch for shopDisney’s frequent sales. Shipping is always free when your purchase totals $75 or more.
Where is Avengers Campus in Disneyland?
The Disneyland Resort is made up of two theme parks and three on-property Disneyland Resort hotels. Avengers Campus is located within the Disney California Adventure park.
Avengers Campus is a 6-acre Marvel-themed space with rides, extraordinary character interactions, unique dining and lots of photo ops. There are three access points to get into Avengers Campus – main entrance across from Golden Vines Winery, walkway through Cars Land and entry at the end of Hollywood Land.
When Avengers Campus Disneyland first opened, guest capacity was limited within the area. While theme park capacity is still restricted at the Disney parks, entry to Avengers Campus is wide open. Guests may enter and leave the Land as they wish. However in order to get on WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure, all guests must still book virtual queue ride access (keep reading for details on this).
WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure
This is Disney, so every attraction has a story. The WEB SLINGERS story is this: Worldwide Engineering Brigade (aka: WEB) is having an open house to showcase its newest inventions. Unfortunately, Peter Parker’s Spider-Bots are going haywire and threaten to take down Avengers Campus Disneyland.
That’s where you come in! This fun 3D ride turns riders into super heroes. This interactive ride, similar to Toy Story: Midway Mania, lets riders spin and throw webs just like Spider-Man, thanks to some innovative technology.
Guests simply move their hands and see their “webs” destroy Spider-Bots on the screens. Points are tracked and there are ways to score bonuses. My kids loved WEB SLINGERS of course, though they lamented that it was too short of a ride!
The attraction is extremely lively, with intense peril in the form of problematic Spider-Bots. Most kids will likely enjoy “flinging webs” from their hands to the screens. Be aware there is some spinning as the vehicles move and the volume inside is loud.
TravelingMom Tip: There is no height requirement for WEB SLINGERS, which means everyone in the family can join the fun. Families will sit four to a row within each ride vehicle. The ride does have a single rider line, though it’s currently not available.
How to Get on WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure Ride
Access to WEB SLINGERS is only available through a virtual queue. This is the same system used for Rise of the Resistance at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. There is no stand-by queue available for WEB SLINGERS, so if you haven’t booked a boarding group via the app, you can’t ride.
How the Virtual Queue Works
- Download the Disneyland app to your smart phone.
- Boarding group windows open each morning at 7 am and again at noon.
- The 7 am virtual queue is available only to people who have a valid park ticket with a Disney California Adventure starting park reservation. The noon queue is available to anyone who has a park hopper or DCA ticket that has been scanned into a park that day.
- Only one spot in the virtual queue can be held at a time. So you have to choose between WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure and Rise of the Resistance.
When it’s time for your boarding group to ride, you’ll receive a notice in the Disneyland app, so check your alerts frequently. You’ll need to show your credentials to enter.
Can I Ride WEB SLINGERS if I Don’t Get Into the Virtual Queue?
Sorry, but no. The only way to ride the newest Disneyland attraction is via the virtual queue in the Disneyland app.
Fortunately you can still experience the rest of Avengers Campus even without the WEB SLINGERS virtual queue. Once in the Avengers Campus area, you’ll be able to shop, dine, character watch or ride Guardians of the Galaxy.
However you won’t be able to go on WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure without the virtual queue credentials on the Disneyland app.
Guardians of the Galaxy – MISSION: Breakout!
Formerly located within Hollywood Land, Guardians of the Galaxy – MISSION: Breakout! has joined the rest of the gang within Avengers Campus. This thrill ride features unexpected drops and a variety of rock songs that change each time you ride.
Guardians of the Galaxy does not require a virtual queue and guests may wait in a regular lineup for this attraction.
Traveling Mom Tip: Guardians of the Galaxy has a 40-inch height requirement. But this is still a terrifying attraction, especially for those who do not enjoy steep drops. If younger kids (or the less daring in your group) want to skip, use the Rider Swap service.
Pym Test Kitchen Quick Service Dining
Ant-Man and The Wasp have used pym particles to create foods that are both over-sized and tiny. It’s a whimsical touch that’s an awesome addition to Avengers Campus.
This Disneyland quick service restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. While there may be some walk-up dining available at Pym Test Kitchen, it’s best to rely on mobile ordering (more on this, keep reading).
Dining at Pym Test Kitchen is an Avengers Campus attraction on its own. In addition to the quirky food, there’s lots of whimsy in the restaurant itself that kids will love. Highlights on the menu and in the dining area:
- In the ordering area, look up at the large and small pretzels changing size, thanks to “pym particles.”
- Ever-Expanding Cinna-Pym Toast, served for breakfast.
- Pym-ini is a panini sandwich with marinara dipping sauce. Brought a big group? Consider ordering the $99.99 Family Sized Pym-ini, sized to feed 8 people!
- Impossible “meatballs” are plant-based in both large and mini sizes.
- Quantum Pretzel, an enormous pretzel that’s enlarged by a quantum tunnel (of course!) and comes with sides of mustard and beer cheese dipping sauce.
- Pingo Doce, a bright green carbonated drink of Avengers lore, found in the Coke Freestyle machines. The flavor is a delicious not-too-sweet lemon-lime with vanilla. Look overhead at the giant soda cans that feed into the dispensers!
- Not so Little Chicken Sandwich, served with teriyaki and red chili sauces and cabbage slaw with a teeny-tiny bun. My “particular eater” was able to order his meal with everything on the side.
Mobile Ordering is a MUST
More than ever before, mobile ordering via the Disneyland app is a must. For anyone wanting to indulge on dining within Avengers Campus Disneyland, I highly recommend ordering first thing in the morning.
TravelingMom Tip: Plan out meal times and peruse menus ahead of the trip. As you wait in line to enter the park in the morning, place all of the snack and meal orders for the day through mobile ordering. Then he app will send a push notification to your phone when the mobile order pick up window opens. Finally, simply press, “Prepare my order” when you’re at the restaurant and ready to pick up!
Marvel at Disneyland Character Sightings
It wouldn’t be a Disney theme park without character meet ‘n greets. And while socially distanced greetings are the current norm, Avengers Campus does a great job of allowing guests to see their favorite super heroes from Marvel comic books and popular movies.
Some of the Avengers Campus character appearances and live entertainment have specific show times. Several of these events do not occur after dark. Find the locations and times daily in the Disneyland app. Here’s what to expect when it comes to character interactions:
- Watch for Spider-Man as he swings from rooftops and chats with guests. This character greeting is a combination of live actor and animatronic. The animatronic version the flies over the roof top is next level!
- Thor and Black Widow can often be spotted at the top of Avengers Headquarters.
- Ant-Man and Iron Man pose with guests at the base of the same building.
- Guests are encouraged to try out their hand at the mystic arts alongside Doctor Strange in the Ancient Sanctum. There is a fun mind-bending optical illusion that’s a must for Instagram-worthy photos!
- Black Panther and Captain America chat and stop for photos next to an Avengers vehicle.
- It’s not all just “good guys”. Guests can expect to see a few villains as well. Taskmaster battles it out on the rooftop of Avengers Headquarters. Loki, the newest Disney+ star, has been appearing in a variety of costumes within Avengers Campus.
What Else Can Kids Do in Avengers Campus Disneyland?
Yes, Disneyland’s Avengers Campus is for Marvel super fans. And little kids love Spider-Man, so the WEB SLINGERS attraction is ideal. The ride was definitely my kids’ favorite part of exploring Avengers Campus! What else is there for kids inside Avengers Campus?
- Train alongside General Okoye and the Dora Milaje. The Black Panther’s bodyguards expound upon the wisdom from Wakanda.
- Game together on the Play Disney Parks app. Interactive games incorporate different areas around the Disneyland parks. Kids will particularly enjoy playing attraction-themed games on a mobile device while waiting in lines. My 9 year old loves competing against me on the movie trivia!
- Join the Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance Off! with Star-Lord and Gamora. Guests can participate in this lively dance party with rock classics from the movies.
- Buy a WEB tech souvenir. It’s a plus-up to WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure. Use the tech on the ride then play it with as a toy once back at home.
- Indulge in a kid-friendly non-alcoholic beverage at Pym Test Kitchen. The Proton PB&J Punch combines lemonade with peanut butter and strawberry flavors with a whipped cream and pretzel topping. Or tackle the behemoth Choco-Smash CANDY BAR, a layered dessert of dark chocolate, nuts, caramel, nougat and brownie! The Choco-Smash is our favorite Avengers Campus treat.
Traveling Mom Tip: Always bring a portable phone charger to Disneyland. Between mobile ordering, taking photos, accessing the virtual queue and playing the games, you’ll need to recharge your device. You won’t want to miss the notification that it’s time for your family to board WEB SLINGERS!
Avengers Campus Disneyland Merchandise
Naturally this themed land includes plenty of opportunity for shopping. These are the shops and locations, with details on what each provides.
Web Suppliers (located across from the WEB SLINGERS ride) – Purchase WEB Tech accessories to enhance ride play on WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure. Costs range between $24.99-$29.99. Use the WEB Tech on the attraction. Then kids can play with it later as a toy.
Web Suppliers also sells Spider-Bots toys in a variety of sizes and styles to play with at home. These entertaining robotic remote controlled toys are a great souvenir for any Spider-Man fan.
Campus Supply Pod (located next to Pym Test Kitchen) – Outdoor shopping kiosk with a variety of apparel.
The Collector’s Warehouse (inside the exit to Guardians of the Galaxy) – large variety of super hero collectibles, toys, action figures and comic books.
What’s to Come at Avengers Campus Disneyland
The yet-to-come major attraction will send recruits on a Quinjet flight to Wakanda and beyond. This ride is expected to put guests into action as they fly alongside the Avengers.
Walt Disney Company has yet to announce any details of this upcoming attraction, to be housed inside the Avengers Headquarters building. This article will be updated as information is released.