Houseboating is a family vacation that we love. We find it incredibly relaxing. Your family will have no where to be, but with each other. Here are some tips to make it a great family trip:
- You are on the water the entire time, even when your are beached; so make sure there is adequate railing all around the boat. The front deck, the back deck and up top. Make sure that the top has railing all the way around including gates that will keep the children from being able to go up and down the stairs.
- Take your own life jackets.
- Budget accordingly. House boats do not get good gas mileage. You will spend a lot of money on gas depending on how much you drive it around.
- Do not forget some essentials for the kids. Floaties, board games, kites, bubbles, water trampoline, ski boat or jet ski (if you have one), and fishing rods.
- Only rent a house boat that has a hot tub. This one element adds so much to the trip.
- Take your own camping chairs. Some that are easily moved around, so that you can sit around a fire each night.
- Bring all the fixings your will need to make smores. Including the roasting sticks and bundles of wood. I would take at least 3 bundles for a 7 night trip.
- Look at the area you will be house boating all ahead of time. Make sure you have everything you will need if you decide to go hiking. For example a backpack to carry your two year old in.
Meagan is our Military Traveling Mom. You can also find her blogging at Mommy Travels. She has a passion for family travel, including maximizing military travel options. For more of Meagan’s adventures find her on facebook Mommy Travels, or follow her on twitter @MommyTravels