Published on Sunday, April 15, 2012 23:58
Written by Pets and Service Dog Travelingmom
Spring and Summer travel are here, or right around the corner. That means it's time to freshen up our homes, vehicles and RVs so let's keep our furry friends in mind while we tackle this seasonal ritual.
The frequency of pet poisoning incidents increases the more we are out and about with our furry companions
. Even a well trained dog or service animal, when bored enough from being confined at home, in the car or RV
may take liberties to snoop in purses or back packs that normally might not be so enticing. It only takes one infraction to equal a medical disaster or even death; so let's look at some of the most commonly ingested pet poisons owners often carry while on the go.
- Hand sanitizer is a commonly toted item. And many brands come in scented varieties that may interest a dog. A small bottle of hand sanitizer, if consumed by a dog could cause coma or death.
- Medications and inhalers are dangerous to dogs. Both over the counter and prescription drugs can be fatal. Since some disabled individuals are prescribed one or more medications or inhalers, this is extremely important to remember. If a dog punctures an inhaler cartridge they can receive a life threatening dose of medication instantly.
- Xylitol sweetened candy is another risk. Many breath mints, gums, vitamins, and candies are sweetened with xylitol which is toxic to dogs.
- Chocolate bars may be a favorite with people but for dogs they can be deadly. Dark chocolate is even more dangerous to dogs. For smaller breed dogs, just an ounce of chocolate could be fatal.
- Grapes, raisins and some varieties of nuts are dangerous. Some dogs have extreme reactions to raisins, grapes, and certain nuts. Macadamia nuts are particularly poisonous to dogs.
Some of the things mentioned above could potentially cause more serious damage even days after they are consumed. Kidney and liver failure may occur days after consumption. So if you think your dog could have consumed any of these items, consult your veterinarian immediately.
With an ounce of prevention we can keep our dogs safe and work together to reduce the 100,000 pet poisonings that occur in a given year.